Guide Provided By: Gaming Generations Estimated Time: 30min - 1hour Experience Level: Intermediate Items Needed: 15w-30w soldering iron (recommended), T10 torx screwdriver, Philips
Screwdriver, Xbox 360 Opening Tool (Optional but recommended), Small
knife (optional). _____________________________________________________
1) Grab the necessary tools listed above.
2) Get your Xbox 360 ready.
3) Start by taking off the hard drive if necessary. There is a small
button, just push it down and pull up on the sides of the hard drive to
4) Put your fingers in the tab and pull back w/ a bit of force. The
faceplate should snap off. Be careful not to pull to hard as you do not
want to break the face plate.
5) Now on to the most difficult part. There are hidden tabs inside of the
case underneath the "Heat Panels". You can easily get at them with your
opening tool. Look inside the case where the red marks are located below
and you can see the tabs you need to press.
6) In this picture you can see exactly where the tabs are located and how
to effectively use the opening tool. The picture below is from XCM's
official guide. Now let's move on to the hard drive side.
7) This side is more difficult because you really cannot get to the 2 tabs
on the front part of the heat panel. The easiest way I have found is to
pull up with force on the front. A quick hard pull and both tabs should
snap right up and wallah.
8) Now finish up taking off the piece by pushing in the last 4 tabs. Again
that this picture below is from XCM's official guide. Also, note that
one of the tabs is hidden under a rubber pad, you may need to remove the
pad to get to the tab.
9) You should now have both sides off.
10) Now we are going to work on taking the top case off. There are 4 buckles
that need to come unlatched. Using a small sharp object like a knife
makes it easy to unlatch the buckles.
11) All 4 buckles should now be unlatched.
12) Now it's time to put your opening tool to the test. On one side there
are 5 tabs on the back of the Xbox 360 that all need to be pressed at
once in order to release this side of the case. Put in the opening tool
like below, then push and gently pull up at the same time. The case
should come unlocked. Try to make sure the buckles in front do not
re-latch again during this process.
13) Now onto the other side. There are only 2 tabs to push in on this side.
Sometimes it is difficult to hit the tabs, usually this is because the
top case is pulled up to high on the other side or in front. Push it
back down as low as you can w/out putting the tabs and buckles back in
place and then try getting at the tabs again. If you cannot get it, you
can yank the case off but it will most likely break.
14) Now that the tabs and buckles are done you should be able to pull off
the top of the case.
15) There are screws you need to take out with your Torx 10 screwdriver.
They are indicated below.
16) Having fun yet?
17) After all 6 screws are removed, flip the Xbox 360 over. Pull up the case
BUT make sure you pull back on the eject button before pulling it up
like shown below. You can just completely take off the eject button as
you will be replacing it most likely anyways.
18) This is what the inside of your Xbox 360 will look like. Slowly pull up
19) Pull out the 2 cables.
20) Your Lite On drive.
21) Flip the drive over and take out the 4 screws with your philips
22) Flip your drive over again and pull off the top.
23) Pull off the bottom.
24) Now we need to take out the original drive board.
25) Push the tab shown below and pull out the ribbon cable.
26) Push the tab shown below and pull out the ribbon cable.
27) Push the tab shown below and pull out the ribbon cable.
28) Grab your soldering iron and take off the wires shown below.
29) All of the wires should now be taken off.
30) Take out the 2 screws.
31) Pull the tab back.
32) Pull the board off.
33) The board should now be off.
34) Put the original drive board in your new drive you are installing.
35) Put the screws back in.
36) Put the ribbon cable back in.
37) Put the ribbon cable back in.
38) Put the ribbon cable back in.
39) The wiring diagram is below. Click for full size ( just mark 1 yellow
with black pen and 1 white so you know which is which)
40) Put the bottom back on.
41) Put the top back on.
42) Set your drive back in your system and plug the two cables back in. What
I normally do now is test the system to make sure the drive works. Plug
back in your system and make sure everything is golden before putting it
43) The new drive you put in will most likely not have a drive bezel. Simply
snap off the bezel on your old drive and insert it back on your new
44) Put the top cover back on. If you took off your eject button make sure
to put it back on. Note this picture was taken from XCM's guide. Now
flip over your Xbox 360.
45) Put the 6 torx screws back in.
46) Put the bottom cover back on. Make sure the tabs are all snapped
together correctly and that the front buckles are latched back together
47) Put the hard drive heat panel back on.
48) Put the opposite side heat panel back on.
49 Snap on the front faceplate.
50) Snap your hard drive back in (if you have one).